Monday, August 07, 2006

Poetry Reading to Call for Peace

I'd like to thank everyone who showed up today and made it such a great success! We managed to raise $250 for charity, not bad for a poetry reading in a small cafe. I thank everyone for their generosity; InFusion cafe; Berta for the video; and our 3 wonderful readers! And I'll keep you posted about whether Al-Arabiyya will broadcast any excerpts, and if so when.

All my best,

Ashraf

PHILLY POETS FOR
P E A C E

Present
Ashraf Osman
Also Featuring
Laurie Pollack
Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore
Arlene Bernstein

WHEN: Sunday, August 6, from 4 to 6 pm
WHERE: InFusion Coffee & Tea
7133 Germantown Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19119

$5 Suggested Donation
All proceeds go toward the UNICEF Emergency Relief Fund

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want or have interest, you can feel free to read "Weep, Like a Cedar in Lebanon" or "I Was There" at the poetry reading. I only wish I could be in Philly to support you on Sunday!

Also, Asharaf, please note that I am moving to http://barkowitz.wordpress.com effective immediately...

arch.memory said...

Thanks, Daniel... I wish all the poets who contributed to Katy's Call to Arms, which was the seed for this reading, could be there to read their own work... It would have been so wonderful!

arch.memory said...

Oh my god, thank you for such a touching letter! To have someone put as eloquently as you did the unceasing cycle of frustration and desperation that I, and you, and so many others are going through.... It takes a heavy boulder off my chest, it makes all those feelings of futility that threaten to pervade me ever so frequently almost vanish. And for that, I thank you immensely!

kateza'atar said...

I'm sorry I wasn't there, Asharaf, but I'm glad the reading went well. And thanks for pulling together the vigil, I sent the information to the SUSTAIN list and I will definitely be there.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels helpless sometimes. Thanks for your words, they give voice to my pain.

Yasmin Waring said...

Hope the reading went well and you raised buckets of cash!

Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

Poetry readings are wonderful testaments to our humanity. i am glad yours went well.